Register your drone and submit Airspace Authorization on FAA DroneZone

Register your drone and submit Airspace Authorization on FAA DroneZone

This video shows you how to register your drone as hobbyist or Part 107 with the new FAA website called Drone Zone. I also explain how to submit an FAA airspace authorization with this new platform.

Become a Part 107 commercial drone pilot with my test prep course. It has already helped over 3000 students successfully pass the test. Over 12 hours of content, hundreds of questions, lifetime access, get 25% off with this link.

If you are a hobbyist looking to get information about how to safely and legally fly your drone, please check out my course at

FAA DroneZone:
FAA UAS Facility Maps:


  1. Michael Cobb on September 20, 2021 at 12:00 am

    Great video, Greg. I got my Part 107 almost a year ago thanks to you very thorough class on Udemy. I am planning an upcoming flight in Class D airspace where the altitude in the grid is only 50 feet. There is a building that is 45′ high, and my client wants a video of the roof. For what I want to accomplish, I want to fly at 75′ or even100′. If I submit the request for 100′ do you think they will approve it, considering their ceiling is only 50′ in that grid? Any help would be appreciated. I don’t know how rigid they are on that 50′ elevation limit.

  2. Dong Won Lee on September 20, 2021 at 12:02 am

    Thanks! This helped me submit my first application.

  3. Andre Lewis on September 20, 2021 at 12:03 am

    When registering a drone for recreational/Hobby I know you have to register the drone with the FAA is it is more than 259 grams and less than 55 lbs. At the end of the registration process they give you a number that you have to stick on the drone. So with that said what if I have more than one drone? Do I have to register each drone with a new number or can i use that same number that I got from the first drone that i registered?

  4. Jet Martin on September 20, 2021 at 12:10 am

    So I presume you have to be a Part 107 (certified) pilot to request a waiver from the FAA (e.g., want to fly in Class B airspace where LAANC is not supported)…If this is true and you are dealing with the example as I stated above then it would seem you simply won’t be able fly in these airspaces if you don’t have your Part 107 Pilot’s license. Is this correct?

  5. ChaoticKill248 on September 20, 2021 at 12:14 am

    This is actually really handy to me since I’m just starting. I’m trying to get more used to looking at the Dronezone website, but I’ve been using AirMap for automated authorizations for the time being and it seems to be working. Is there a difference between filling out authorization on AirMap versus Dronezone?

  6. Bil Danielson on September 20, 2021 at 12:21 am

    Just received my authorization from FAA as I was requesting to fly in controlled airspace AND there was no LAANC available – it took only a couple of days, and the process worked great imho (thank you Pilot Institute for the tutorials). The FAA actually called me for some clarification on my use intentions and once that was done the approval went through fast.

  7. Remington Rockwell on September 20, 2021 at 12:27 am

    If you register a drone under Part 107, can you still fly it as a recreational pilot under Section 336, or does it have to be registered under both if I want to fly the same drone for both commercial, and recreational?

  8. Steve S on September 20, 2021 at 12:38 am

    does the drone zone approved pdf attachment for airspace authorization automatically sync to the drone or do you have to unlock NFZ in the settings?

Leave a Comment