NEW UK CAA 2020 Drone Laws Explained – FAST CONFUSION BUSTER! | Mr MPW


Over the last few months, since the UK CAA announced the upcoming changes to the UK Drone Regulations which come into effect on the 1st July 2020; we’ve tried to get the message out to as many people as possible. Unfortunately, the changes are quite complicated at first glance… So we decided to try and bust the confusion and make them as simple to understand as we possibly could!

In today’s video, we dive on in and take a look at the upcoming UK CAA Drone Regulations… In 4 minutes(ish)! 😉

Links to useful videos and documents below:
🖤The CAA & EASA 1:1 ( One to One ) Rule:
🖤Discussion about the 249g MTOM of the Mavic Mini:
🖤Link to downloadable Open Category GUIDE:
🖤Link to EASA / CAA A2 Self Certification Requirements:

Please feel free to rate the video and leave any comments or questions below…

There are more videos and reviews coming all the time so be sure to check back regularly or subscribe to stay up to date!

Blue skies,


🌍 Website:
📷 Instagram:
🐦 Twitter:
🎮 Twitch:

🎙️Podcast Links:

ℹ️The World’s Leading Drone Training from UAVHUB:

☎️Contact the UAV Hub Team, to discuss CAA A2 and GVC Training Courses on 0800 033 4400



  1. Level Realm on March 12, 2021 at 12:03 am

    Fuck the rules I fly where I want call it bad for the hobby if you like but I’ve never had police turn up this shit won’t be policed. Just fly.

  2. Gary Wildman on March 12, 2021 at 12:03 am

    I fly a dpi magic pro,but far from anyone or any town,always in the wild for landscape.Do i still need to have a licence ? i would be very grateful for any help.

  3. Steve C on March 12, 2021 at 12:05 am

    Typical U.K., getting money out of people. All this should be free

  4. farhan sardar on March 12, 2021 at 12:07 am

    can i take my mavic air 2 from manchester to turkey for holidays ?

  5. DANIEL LONDON CHARLES on March 12, 2021 at 12:08 am

    okay sorry so many questions i think this has been moved back to november now? i have done flyer id and op id but at 4:50 you said i don’t need to do any more but get insurance? i am bit lost through i would need to do the training for commercial pictures at my work but now it seem not because the law is going to change?

  6. HUSSAIN KAPASI on March 12, 2021 at 12:09 am

    Mate if you are an internationl fluer what to di

  7. dlarge6502 on March 12, 2021 at 12:11 am

    Well that just killed the hobby for me.

    £9 a year and full registration details for the operator ID, yet I dont need the strangely FREE Flyer ID, all because my crappy £50 drone I used to get a birds eye view of a scene has a low quality camera on it. Well its supposed to be 720p but the the thing has a mis-aligned lens element from the factory so is as short sighted as me but it was fun for the 5 or 6 times I’ve flown it in the last 4 years to see what my area (no, not my road, actual open public countryside with the airmap app showing no additional restrictions) looks like from above and to record the extent of flooding, simply out of my own curiosity.

    Happily following the drone code, well aware of aerodromes etc as I’m an enthusiast there too, and would be ok paying for a license (ID) if it were smart. I used to pay for CB licenses when they were regulated, of course I dont need to now, as its all deregulated. But EVERYONE had to pay. It made sense, but it doesnt make sense why I need to pay for an operator ID, sans a flyer ID which for some reason is free, just because my barely above a toy drone has a poor quality camera. It would make more sense if I had to pay for a flyer AND an operator ID, or just have the weirdly FREE flyer ID because of the camera. Seeing as the main selling point of these drones, toy or not, sub 250g or not IS the camera, why are they requiring a yearly payment for it?

    Here is a thought, it will be great for all us hobby toy flyers who just want to have fun. Why not have the operator ID a one off payment that is included on the camera drone toy’s price at the shop, like a tax, with the operator ID already plastered on the drone. Buy, charge, fly. Follow drone code/rule book in the box.

    Well, I guess I can tie a gopro to a kite, lol that would solve the short sighted camera problem too. If I have a dumb quadcopter pull the kite about will that get around the problem?

    Oh dear, all those people who bought those mini hand sized drone "selfie cams".

    Oh yes, I need to pay this £9 a year simply for having the thing under the bed too. "own or fly". I’ll put it out of its misery…

  8. SirFlukealot Esquire on March 12, 2021 at 12:11 am

    Do these rules apply to gliders as well?

  9. Ammar Hafeez on March 12, 2021 at 12:12 am

    I want to buy drone from get fpv I live in uk what about custom

  10. Anony Mouse on March 12, 2021 at 12:13 am

    I have a conspiracy theory/rant. All these regulations, are a good thing, but I can’t help wondering if a good proportion of it comes from DJI’s lobbying, to make their drones the only ones that people will use. I would not be surprised if they already have C,1,2,3,4 drones already waiting to be launched and probably helped (told) the FAA and CAA what specifics drones needed to have in order to be compliant in order to rub out the competition. What is the best way to make people buy more drones, change the legislation and laws, to create a rule called ‘Legacy drones’. Basically tell people they have to spend £500+ on training or you will not really be able to fly your legacy drone anywhere. But buy this new one, which is the same as the last one but with tiny add ons and a CE mark and your good to go. Hmmmm.

  11. Jim Hoova on March 12, 2021 at 12:14 am

    As a Newby Drone Operator. I have Registered and also took out the suggested 12million pound Public Liability. I was very nearly going to shell out £700 for Pfco Training which I now don’t need for Commercial Operations. But If I am correct. I would need the Open Category with 3 Sub Categories. Is that correct and possibly the specified Category.

  12. Chris Wells on March 12, 2021 at 12:16 am

    Just came across your channel as a newbie to the drone world.

    I’m a photographer and looking to being able to get some professional drone shots.

    I have bought a Mavic Mini as a starter and familiarise myself on flying a drone and will upgrade once I get up to speed.

    I would appreciate any advice you could provide as to what registration, courses, licence, insurance that o will need and also costs involved thank you

  13. Seanbjork69 on March 12, 2021 at 12:18 am


  14. Sai Suraj Mantha on March 12, 2021 at 12:20 am

    I use a mavic mini !!!! Can I fly over structures? If I can fly what is the distance I have to maintain?

  15. Fludded Media on March 12, 2021 at 12:21 am

    Frustratingly nothing on prices… having to redo a course just because the Pfco has lapsed is ridiculous. The insurance can be £300, caa want about £180… a course is about £1200. Biggest waste of money ever, – didn’t get a single booking coz there’s loads of people with out licenses getting the work dirt cheap. Probs way cheaper to wait for the safety lecture from the dinosaurs at the CAA and get a fine.
    Although broadcast production companies want to see all your certificates…

  16. Steve Hayes on March 12, 2021 at 12:24 am

    @mr mpw so am I not allowed to fly my drone out of sight in the uk? Seems pointless spending £1000 on a drone that you can only fly 500 metres away from you, isn’t there more restrictions coming in the uk

  17. Scott Gallacher on March 12, 2021 at 12:24 am

    Great video thanks. Quick question: i heard some of the older UK DJI drones are missing a certain piece of tracking hardware which will make them illegal to fly after a given date, is that the case?

  18. Fmentz Editz on March 12, 2021 at 12:24 am

    what exactly classifies as "uninvolved" or "involved", for instance if I wanted to shoot drone based video at a race track, and I let everyone know what I was doing ahead of time, does that then make them involved? since I have their consent?

  19. Peter Horner on March 12, 2021 at 12:26 am

    Can someone explain something for me. In the A3 catagory it states that uninvolved people can’t be present in the flight area? What extent is a person classed as present? If I’m flying my drone and there’s someone half a kilometre away are they classed as ‘present’?

  20. desmond tinarwo on March 12, 2021 at 12:27 am

    So a lot of county councils(Northamptonshire for example) have a rule on their website saying unmanned aerial vehicles are not permitted in their parks and green spaces. Where do you stand on this? Where would I be able to fly then. Can I still fly in the park if I am observing all the CAA rules.

  21. Hawksquawks on March 12, 2021 at 12:30 am

    Thanks, the most clearly explained video on these laws. I am returning to the hobby after a 4 year break, just got a Phantom 3 for a very good price, I have registered ETC with the CAA. Good to know I can start flying without spending out on a Licence. Luckily for me I live in the far southwest with plenty of open space to fly and film.

  22. Max on March 12, 2021 at 12:30 am

    So I have a EASA PPL (H)
    In the future will I be able to use this for a drone?

  23. stevoug on March 12, 2021 at 12:30 am

    What do I need too fly my fimi x8 se? I’m 47 and looking too fly as a hobby 150 meters away from built up areas and 50 meters away from uninvolved people, Do I just need too register the drone (dmares) and place contact details on drone ?

  24. Nivea Gajardoni on March 12, 2021 at 12:32 am

    Hi, Matt
    I am in troubles I just got a Phantom 4 pro to a friend that had a drone to footage our harvest but now I need to learn and get a commercial license. what you advise us i am from Bedfordshire.

  25. CalJones Gaming on March 12, 2021 at 12:32 am

    So you mean to say I can sell my photos from my drone now!

  26. Paul-Thys on March 12, 2021 at 12:33 am

    There is nothing stopping you flying a mini in a city though if there is no one around though and you are not in restricted airspace?

  27. MJ UAV on March 12, 2021 at 12:33 am

    Thanks Matt, very useful video and straight to the point.

  28. Ayaz Qais on March 12, 2021 at 12:33 am

    Sorry my friend I watched upto 2:24. Couldn’t continue as the clock ticking is so distracting.

  29. MrKilluminati84 on March 12, 2021 at 12:34 am

    wow, so i could use a small dji drone to film weddings without a commercial License as long as I have a valid commercial insurance and stay 150m away from buildings and 50m away from people? That’s awesome!!

  30. Stefano Tatti Frongia on March 12, 2021 at 12:35 am

    50mt from people ore building are ridiculous. In the park near the city basically is always illegal. The DJI mavic mini weight just 249gr if the main outcome of the law is the safety of the people 5mt max 10mt is enough and they can made mandatory the use of the propeller cage.

  31. GuideTheRide on March 12, 2021 at 12:35 am

    Hi Matt, you’ve done a great job of explaining the categories from a newbie to the craft. I’d like to ask a question if I may. I,m a enthusiast photographer and want to explore the possibility of using a drone in my landscape photography (you know where this is going!). Sometimes I’m lucky enough to sell the odd image and if I did this from a drone shot/taken image would it be classed as commercial? I should clarify that photography is not my main income, if it were I’d be watching paper airplane making videos. I understand the category regarding flying certain distances from built up area, I would easily conform to this, and I get that there are plenty of localised laws, no problem, it’s just which operators license would I need for the above scenario please? Thanks, Andrew

  32. ESV Arwyn on March 12, 2021 at 12:36 am

    Restrictions concerning flying in congested / built up areas does not apply until category A3 – therefore A2 transitional arrangements allow most existing consumer drones including Karma to fly commercially in built-up areas until 2 years after the introduction of the EASA (providing you have an A2 CofC, insurance and stay 50m horizontally from uninvolved people) right?! Thanks

  33. david clark on March 12, 2021 at 12:36 am

    Good advice

  34. Bilal on March 12, 2021 at 12:37 am

    So just before watching this video i have just registered and got a flyer id and a operator id to start a hobby using a eachine 511s … so after 1st of july does anything change on my side? Thankyou

  35. Ben Christofelo on March 12, 2021 at 12:37 am

    Hi, I still don’t understand the laws for hobby flying? Anyone help?

  36. Mister K on March 12, 2021 at 12:38 am

    Get a hot air balloon that can fly up and get a gimbal/camera in the air and shoot that way haha…

  37. Aayan Khan on March 12, 2021 at 12:39 am


  38. skyzx on March 12, 2021 at 12:39 am

    dji mini 2 – do I have to register?

  39. Fpv Quad on March 12, 2021 at 12:41 am

    There are still not much information relate to FPV such as If you get your Amateur radio license in UK Can you still be able to go above 25 mW Power output Oh what’s the maximum power output can you do without any Radio license oh regulation. Let’s say if you have an drone insurance And Flyer+operator ID?

  40. Kite Kaz on March 12, 2021 at 12:42 am

    3 – 4 minutes
    Plus 3-4
    = acc time

  41. Ian French on March 12, 2021 at 12:45 am

    Brilliant video thanks. I was a bit confused, what do I need to do to be able to sell photos and video footage ?

  42. LazarkGaming on March 12, 2021 at 12:49 am

    Really helpful, these new laws seem a lot better for the marketplace.

  43. James Travis on March 12, 2021 at 12:49 am

    Wow it’s so confusing, but I’m so glad they’ve removed the ‘commercial’ distinction because it was so moronic that you could buy a drone, fly it for fun, but if money changed hands you suddenly couldn’t, made absolutely no sense at all. And also it used to be stupidly expensive to be licensed. I’m a videographer and bought a drone a few years ago just to get those extra shots to add to the look, but turned out to be so expensive as an addition just to get simple shots. Well I’m glad they are relaxing and distinguishing between different uses now!

  44. Twiglet 22 on March 12, 2021 at 12:50 am

    I’m torn between the Mini 2 and the Air 2 so jury still out but could you please advise on whether i can take the test prior to purchasing the drone or do i need to purchase/register/pass test in one fell swoop please ?

  45. 1975supermike on March 12, 2021 at 12:53 am

    So say I was buying a drone this weekend like a hubsan zino pro. I know I go online and register e.t.c but come july then what ? Always fly in middle of nowhere no people e.t.c thanks

  46. Ant G on March 12, 2021 at 12:56 am

    Hi just seen this video I’ve not flown my drone in a while would anyone know what I have to do to fly my drone I have a phantom 4 I live in the uk

  47. Kurt Brouckxon on March 12, 2021 at 12:56 am

    I have the online drone certificate A1/A3 from the UK. Is the certificate legal in Europa (EASA)? Due to the BREXIT and I live in Belgium

  48. SunTzu192 on March 12, 2021 at 12:56 am

    Nice one geez

  49. Peter Horner on March 12, 2021 at 12:57 am

    I’m so confused. I have watched a number of your videos and you have consistently said that in the A3 catagory you can fly your drone 150m away from built up areas and 50m away from uninvolved people. But having read the regulations I can’t see where it says 50m from uninvolved people at all? A3 says you can’t operate in an area where uninvolved people are present. It also says you need to be 150m from recreational areas? Surely that writes off pretty much everywhere? Parks, anywhere that people may hike etc are recreational areas. So basically if I wanted to take my drone to the Lake District I wouldn’t be able to cos the entire area is classed as a recreational area? So confusing

  50. michael ganner on March 12, 2021 at 1:01 am

    What if you have several drones or planes , do you need to register them all individually ?

Leave a Comment