Flying a drone commercially?

Flying a drone commercially?

If you’re flying a drone or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) that weighs 2 kg or less or you’re flying over your own land using a drone or RPA that is 25 kg or less, this means you’re flying — or planning to fly — under the excluded category.

Operating in this category means you must follow the standard operating conditions, notify CASA of your intent to fly and keep proper records.

You can now submit excluded category flight notifications via myCASA. If you’ve previously notified us, you do not need to submit a new notification unless:
– your notification has expired
– you get a new drone
– want to fly a different type of drone
– change the weight of your drone (such as adding new equipment or other modifications).

Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) — ‘Safe skies for all’

CASA regulates civil aviation safety in Australia and the operation of Australian aircraft outside Australian territory. We license pilots, register aircraft, oversee safety and promote safety awareness. CASA is also responsible for ensuring Australian airspace is administered and used safely.

Follow CASA on Facebook:

Follow CASA on Twitter:!/CASABriefing

Connect with CASA on LinkedIn:

Experience the world of Flight Safety Australia:

Visit the CASA Online Store:

Create a myCASA account:


  1. Mark H on July 16, 2022 at 7:45 pm

    What type of license/permit do i need to take photos on a construction site drone weight class nomore than 250g for business reasons

  2. infinightsky on July 16, 2022 at 7:52 pm

    Casa can ask to see my records on my property?

  3. Teemo FPV on July 16, 2022 at 8:13 pm

    Is flying for YouTube video considered a commercial flight? Is flying drone for free for a nonprofit group considered a commercial flight?

Leave a Comment